Article by Primrose Stuart
Sexual dysfunction inhibits a couple from experiencing sexual satisfaction. In as much as this a topic that people shy away from discussing and seeking help. There is evidence that a lot of cases are on the rise. Causes range from psychological, physiological and often time poor health habits. To get more detailed information please read the previous post on sexual dysfunction in men. This will give you a detained analysis of what it is all about and the key causes.
Who said it is too late to apply preventative measures or cure sexual dysfunction? It only takes an individual to know what to do, when and how. There is also hope for those suffering from this condition. Certain types of sexual dysfunction can be prevented by simply living a healthy lifestyle and abandoning bad habits.
The following are suggestions that will help men avoid and cure sexual problems.
Healthy Nutrition and Food
Eating a healthy balanced diet and maintaining a healthy weight could never be overemphasized. Some of the healthy food suggestions to help with sexual dysfunction include:
- Food sources
- Leafy green vegetables, spinach, cabbage, Broccoli
- Peanuts – L-arginine found in peanuts help with erectile dysfunction.
- Beans: Beans help your blood vessels produce nitric oxide, the gas that triggers vessel dilation critical to sexual performance and pleasure.
- Almonds: These are rich inZinc, Manganese and Copper which help preventing erectile dysfunction.
- Seafood: Seafood has a reputation for contributing to good sexual health and fertility.
- Eggs: Boiled eggs improve sexual health.
- Avocados : Avos have proved to be linked to improved sexual health in men and women.
- Chilli peppers : Hot peppers contain capsaicin, which improves circulation and blood flow for erections.
- Sweet potatoes : Potassium in sweet potatoes prevents erectile dysfunction and lowers blood pressure.
- Strawberries : Incredibly high in antioxidants which promote sexual health and protects men against prostate cancer.
- Asparagus: Rich in folate, a vitamin which plays a major in a healthy sex drive in both men and women.
- Oysters : Contains high levels of zinc which boost male sexual health.
- Watermelon: Researchers call it a natural viagra as it improves blood flow and cures erectile dysfunction.
- Garlic: Allicin found in garlic treats erectile dysfunction, low sex drive and boosts sexual health.
- Pumpkin seeds: Rich in zinc which promotes the health of male prostate gland and is important for sexual health. Pumpkin seeds are are also known to increase libido in women.
Research: A new study funded by the U.S. National Institutes of Health found that couples who ate more fish in their diet had more sex than couples who ate less.
2. Health and Fitness
- Regular exercise: Physical activity play a critical role in maintaining a healthy body weight, losing excess body weight, and preventing health related conditions that can dire effect on your sexual health.
- Consider not smoking: Smoking permanently damages blood vessels including those carrying blood to your penis leaving you suffering from erectile dysfunction.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Weight loss can improve erectile function for overweight men.
- Don’t use illegal drugs: Drugs cause a decrease or loss of libido, impotence and failure of ejaculation.
- If you have chronic diseases, take steps to control your condition and improve your overall health.
- Avoid alcohol : The depressant effect from alcohol leads to sexual dysfunction later in life.
Research: A study presented at the The Endocrine Society 94th Annual Meeting, found a decrease in calorie and fat consumption, and an increase in exercise, led to a nearly 50% increase in male testosterone production.
3. Sex Therapy and counseling
Therapy and counseling will help you and your partner assess the problem and identify factors, thoughts, and behaviors that might be contributing to sexual health problems. Its a pity that this is something that is often disregarded in a religious setup. Talking about sexual health if often totally ignored by this institution in some cases. Yet this is of utmost importance for couples to receive support in a way that does not contradict with their spiritual beliefs. I bet you this is a crisis in our society that is on the rise and needs addressing sooner or later.
Galbraith RA. Sexual side effects of drugs. Drug Ther (NY). 1991 Mar;21(3):38-40, 45. PMID: 12316940.
Robyn M. Kydd, Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, Dunedin School of Medicine, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Oslo, Norway: Knowledge Centre for the Health Services at The Norwegian Institute of Public Health (NIPH); 2012. Report from Norwegian Knowledge Centre for the Health Services (NOKC) No. 02-2012.